The Department of Psychology, St. George campus, does not have formal procedures or application forms for either volunteer or paid research/lab positions in the summer or during the academic year. Suggestions on where students can investigate research opportunities with the Psychology Department and the wider research community are listed below.
- On the Faculty of Arts & Science Research Opportunities page
- At the U of T Career Centre including the Work-Study Program;
- Sign up for the Undergrad listserv to receive email notification of volunteer opportunities (we receive these regularly from within and outside the university). These opportunities are also posted on our Facebook page. "Like" our Facebook page to get the latest postings as well as other useful information.
- With the Psychology Students' Association;
- At various affiliated hospitals or co-operating institutions; including CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health).
- Check with individual faculty members about potential opportunities in their labs (this is the most common way students gain this type of experience). View contact and research information for our faculty members.
Other opportunities include:
- The summer NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA) and University of Toronto Excellence Awards (UTEA) in Social Science and Humanities and in Natural Science and Engineering are considered awards however, they do provide students with excellent paid research experience;
- For students entering second year, the Research Opportunity Program (ROP), sponsored by the Faculty of Arts & Science, provides an opportunity for students early in their academic career to engage in an original research project with a professor, in exchange for course credit. Students who apply to an ROP in Psychology would receive a full-course credit of PSY299Y or PSY399Y;
- Complete a 4th year Individual Project with a supervisor in a lab for course credit. This is another popular way students gain useful research experience relevant to future career opportunities or admission to graduate school.
Paid Research Studies
Study posted on December 14th, 2020
Research Participants Needed!!!
Study posted on December 9th, 2020
Study posted on December 1st, 2020
Looking for Research Participants
We are looking for individuals who are interested in taking part in a study on concept learning.
Please see the flyer for more information.
Research Participants Needed!!!
Study Posted November 23rd, 2020
Take Part in a Virtual Study Environment
Study Posted November 20th, 2020
Making money listening to real-world sounds!
Do you want to earn $15/hr + transit or parking fare in a listening experiment with EEG at Baycrest Hospital (3560 Bathurst St)?
We are resuming, on a limited basis, some research studies. To ensure your safety and those of patients and staff, we have implemented strict infection control precautions and processes. Additional time related to COVID safety protocol will be included in your compensation for participating.
If you are interested, you should have no hearing problems and should not be on any medication that affects wakefulness. The experiment involves listening to and rating sounds on a computer and takes 1 session of 3-3.5hours.
There are no risks associated with this research, which has been certified by the review ethics board and is supervised by Prof. Claude Alain and Prof. Morris Moscovitch at University of Toronto. Your confidentiality and anonymity for serving in this experiment will be protected.
Study posted on November 17th, 2020